ABOUT GRAY TELEVISION:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 91 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KOSA-TV/CBS7 News is the top-rated, long-time news leader in west Texas and southeastern New Mexico. Based in Midland/Odessa, we pride ourselves in being the dominant player in a highly competitive market where there is never a shortage of news that impacts people on the regional level, throughout the state of Texas and very often on the national stage. Our team of professionals is committed to sharing the most compelling stories every day…and we know that requires outstanding writers, creative photographers and an innovative production team. Whether we're following local officers to the nation’s capital to remember their fallen brothers; traveling to Marine boot camp to highlight a local man's journey; covering a hometown president (George W. Bush) during his eight years in office; or tracking the latest developments in the oil and gas industry – KOSA is located at the epicenter of some of the most important news stories of our generation. As the only community in the country with an International Air and Space Port, travel to and from Midland from anywhere in the world (and very soon even out of the world!) is quick and easy. We are also nestled in a picturesque region of Texas, often referred to as a hidden jewel, that makes for exciting weekend trips for the outdoors adventurer or the lover of rare or unique art. Learn more about KOSA at www.cbs7.com
KOSA is hiring for a Master Control Operator. This position is responsible for acquiring digital content; identifying and storing requested material, monitoring signal streams and ensuring scheduled events run accurately.
• Preventing, monitoring and reporting on-air errors.
• Setup, control and monitor television broadcasting equipment to transmit television programs and station breaks to the viewing audience.
• Read program logs to ascertain the name of programs/station breaks, and at what time programs/station breaks are scheduled to air.
• Ingest commercials, programs and other program materials into the station automation system.
• Operate station automation equipment. Perform minor computer troubleshooting and diagnostics.
• Utilize video test and monitoring equipment to monitor and adjust signal quality.
• Observe on-air monitors to ascertain problems with transmission, such as loss of audio/video signals and report any problems to the appropriate Technology staff.
• Perform minor equipment troubleshooting, observe transmitter control panels to determine cause and area of problems and inform engineering personnel of transmission problems.
• Record onto television programming logs actual time programs/station breaks air.
• Prepare discrepancy reports describing problems encountered during transmission of programs/station breaks and reason for problems.
• Have a working knowledge of broadcast law (e.g. Legal IDs, EAS rules and regulations, Tower lighting, Commercial Sponsorship, et. al).
• May control transmitting equipment to route television program to remote broadcast sites.
• Take transmitter readings and enter data onto transmitter logs.
• Work with News and ENG\SNG operations to set up live shots on the studio end.
• Operate robotic cameras for news production
• Occasionally assist with the production of local news, promotions and commercial programming.
• Occasionally assist with facility maintenance and Environmental Health and Safety issues.
• Perform other duties as needed and directed by The Director of Technology\ Chief Engineer
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older to apply.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime, and on weekends with short notice.
• Must be available to work all shifts, including early mornings, evenings, holidays, weekends, late breaking news and weather emergencies.
• Available 24 hours/7days per week based on scheduled hours
• Ability to work overnight hours on regular basis.
• Must be willing to facilitate personnel requirements including late and/or last minute scheduling changes in a 24/7 high stress work environment.
• Multitask, react, solve problems and obtain results under pressures of television production and broadcasts.
• Interact with a variety of individuals including management, employees, and outside vendors/consultants.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Act independently
• Display flexibility, creativity, and develop innovative solutions.
• Be a team player
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of
employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to
and including discharge.