Brady Gives Pats a Scare 8/15/13
UNDATED - The New England Patriots got a scare Wednesday when quarterback Tom Brady limped off the practice field after appearing to hurt his left knee when he was hit after throwing a pass. A person familiar with the injury says Patriots quarterback Brady sprained his left knee in a practice and his return is day to day.
Brady tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a game in 2008 and missed most of that season.
In other NFL news:
- Defensive end Antwan Applewhite has signed with the Miami Dolphins after he endured an injury-plagued 2012 season with the Carolina Panthers. Applewhite has appeared in 48 NFL games with the San Diego Chargers (2007-10) and Panthers (2011-12), starting 17. He was slowed by knee and hamstring injuries last year and played in only five games.
- Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III has taken his first 11-on-11 snaps at training camp as he continues his recovery from reconstructive knee surgery. RG III ran 16 plays with the first-string offense completing 7 of 10 passes with an interception. Griffin had been limited to 7-on-7 drills during camp.
- Authorities say Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller was arrested and released Sunday on a warrant alleging he failed to appear in court on a misdemeanor. KMGH-TV in Denver reported that the warrant alleges he failed to appear for a court hearing on charges of careless driving, driving without a license and no proof of insurance. Separately, Miller is facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's drug-abuse policy. He has appealed and a hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
- The Raiders have suffered a major blow with the loss of starting left tackle Jared Veldheer. He's suffered a torn left triceps and will miss a significant portion of the upcoming season.
- St. Louis Rams starting linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar has been suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. He was second on the team in tackles last season with 157.
- Nick Foles will get the start at quarterback for Philadelphia in Thursday night's exhibition game against Carolina. He's in a battle for the starting job with Michael Vick, who started last week's loss to New England.
- Miami has released kicker Dan Carpenter. He lost his job to rookie Caleb Sturgis who went 70 for 88 in field goals while at Florida, including eight successful kicks from 50 yards and beyond.