Shatto Death Still Making Waves in Moscow, Russia Asking for Autopsy 3/2/13
CBS 7 News Reporter
March 2, 2013
GARDENDALE-The death of three-year-old Max Shatto was ruled accidental, but Russian protests continue.
Russians are taking to the street in protest and Russian officials are now demanding for a copy of the boy’s autopsy report.
Four doctors examined Shatto’s autopsy report and they all concluded that his death was accidental.
"The child had a previously diagnosed behavioral disorder that manifested itself in the form of self-injury,” said Ector County District Attorney Bobby Bland at a press conference yesterday. “The bruising on the body was consistent with his history."
But it's not enough for the Russian government, they're asking for a copy of the autopsy.
They say the results are "preliminary" and not conclusive.
"These are some of the finest doctors in the state of Texas,” Bland said. “When they say it's an accident, that's what it is."
More than 12,000 protestors took to the streets of Moscow today.
“Today people are telling us that Maxim supposedly maimed himself to death with a blunt instrument and damaged his own internal organs. That’s a slap in the face of our country and our people,” Irina Bergset, one of the march’s organizers, said in a speech at the rally, as reported by the Associated Press.
Many spoke out in support of the recent ban on U.S. adoptions of Russian children.
Meantime, Ector County says criminal charges could still be pending--even though the death is ruled accidental.
“We'll look at the case, we will look at all the aspects and we will make a determination on how to proceed,” said Bland.