First Baptist Church Fire in Midland 12/3/12
City of Midland
December 3, 2012
The Midland Fire Department responded to a structure fire at First Baptist Church (2104 W. Louisiana Ave.) on Monday, Dec. 3 at 6:32 a.m.
Church staff alerted the fire department after noticing heavy smoke upon entering the building Monday morning. The fire began on a wooden stage in the church's fellowship hall, which is being used as an interim worship space while the church is under construction. Officials are looking at a large candle used the night before during an Advent service as the source of the fire, which appears to have started overnight.
Fire damage was contained to the interim worship space, and surrounding hallways also received severe smoke damage.
Thirteen units responded to the fire.
This is the second candle fire the fire department has responded to this holiday season; the first was a residence in the 600 block of West Kansas Avenue on Thanksgiving Day.
Officials recommend that residents install smoke detectors and protect open-flame candles from surrounding combustible materials. Candles should be attended at all times and extinguished before leaving the room.